There are several county departments that are involved in the property tax process. The three major departments are:
- The Office of the Assessor determines the property or entity to be assessed, and transmits the assessed values to the County Auditor-Controller.
- The Auditor-Controller computes/calculates the amount of taxes due. The Auditor-Controller, Tax Division also apportions and distributes to the various entities the property tax monies collected by the Treasurer & Tax Collector.
- The Treasurer & Tax Collector mails the tax bill and collects the amount due that was computed by the Auditor-Controller, Tax Division.
There are four telephone numbers available to connect you to the County Property Tax Information Line:
After calling any of the above numbers:
To get access to the Treasurer & Tax Collector’s Office, press 1 then 2.
To get access to the Office of the Assessor, press 1 then 3.
To get access to the Auditor-Controller’s Property Tax Services Division, press 1 then 4.
To get information about Assessment Appeals Board, press 1 then 5.
- Questions regarding current year payments or prior year delinquencies should be directed to the Treasurer & Tax Collector. You can access their website at http://ttc.lacounty.gov or email email@example.com.
- Questions regarding assessed values should be directed to the Office of the Assessor. You can access their website at http://assessor.lacounty.gov or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Questions regarding the computation of property tax should be directed to the Auditor-Controller, Property Tax Services Division at (213) 974-8368 between the hours of 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM or email email@example.com.
- Questions regarding filing an assessment appeal should be directed to the Assessment Appeals Board. You can access their website at https://lacaab.lacounty.gov/Home.aspx or email firstname.lastname@example.org.